Sunday, July 6, 2008

Rick's part of the 14er club

A 14er club, you ask? What does that mean? Well if you're not from Colorado or familiar with Colorado/mountaineering terminology it means Rick's climbed a mountain peak (actually two of them in one day) which is over 14,000 feet above sea level. There are 54 peaks in Colorado alone which are at or over 14,000 ft. I have a goal to climb some 14er's, but definitely NOT the two Rick climbed...well maybe Mt. Bierstadt, but not both. I'll explain why and you'll see in the pictures too.

Our neighbor Vint, who happens to be Chase's dad (a member of the ABCK club or the bike posse) and in our ward took the Young Men (teenage boys in our church) on a climb up to Torrey's and Gray's Peak. They're 2 more of the 14er's in Colorado and much easier to climb than Mt. Bierstadt and Mt. Evans which Rick and Vint climbed yesterday. Anyway, Vint now has the bug and Rick of course has the bug too to climb some 14er's so they both decided to conquer Mt. Bierstadt and Mt. Evans. Rick told me in order to climb both they have to pass the sawtooth. Okay, what the heck is that? And I'm SOOOO glad I didn't really know what it entailed I would've been worried sick about them the whole time they were gone. (See the slide show to see what I mean.) Sherri, Vint's wife told me it's a class 3 climb, which once again being a new Coloradoan I had no idea what that really meant. I kind've understood it meant it was hard, but not death defying. Of course when Rick returns he tells me some guy fell off the sawtooth last year and died. Nice, once again, I'm so glad I didn't know all this before they left.

1 comment:

cori said...

so i miss you tons. can we be neighbors? your place looks so nice. and colorful.

i hate the desert. brown and blah.

loved reading all your recent posts...

love, cori