Friday, October 26, 2007

Mother of the Year....

...ain't gonna be me! I'm not sure if it's because we're just renting a house and I don't feel completely settled, but I just can't get into the holiday spirit. Halloween is just around the corner and I'm barely thinking about where I'm going to take the kids trick-or-treating. This morning I finally made myself sit down with the kids and put together our first Halloween craft. (The only thing besides the pumpkins sitting outside our door that reminds me it's even Halloween.) I usually have our house decorated fairly nicely for the holidays, although I'm not one of those moms who buys every cute crafty decoration for all the holidays, but you definitely know coming to my house that we're all set for Halloween. Not this year. I haven't failed miserably though, we did buy the kids their costumes in advance, even though they are the lovely Target costumes, they'll do. I refuse to spend a fortune on costumes after looking all over for the cutest Barney costume for Aidan 3 years ago and he barely wore it. However, I will get our family together to carve our pumpkins tonight so I can at least feel like I did something worthy this Halloween with the kids.

As for my other failure? Potty training! It sucks. I hate doing it and I know it must rub off on my kids. I had a HORRIFIC time getting Aidan potty trained so I have no desire to go through the same fiasco with Kellen. Although, I truly think once he gets the hang of it he will cooperate and go. I just keep forgetting to put him on the potty on a regular basis. I thought sending him to preschool would keep me motivated, but obviously not. We're no farther along than we were a month ago when I started. And I refuse to spend my day at home putting him on the potty every few minutes. I think I would go crazy and I'm sure Kellen would too.

Oh, and my last failure? Remembering to sit down with the kids to read everyday. We read a story at night, but I really wanted to have storytime. I love snuggling up with them and reading stories, but with school and after-school activities then coming home making dinner, baths, getting ready for bed... the list goes on and on. Oh and homework? Thankfully Aidan really doesn't have much of that yet, but I'm supposed to be helping him with his sight words and writing his numbers and letters. How does it all get done? Any supermoms out there???


Whew! I feel better now. This blogging thing is very theraputic. Maybe I'll feel like supermom again tomorrow or after I'm over my cold.

6 comments:

Janet + Craig said...

All that and a cold to boot! Don't get down on yourself my friend... your kids are loved, fed, clean, that's all they really need. The rest is just gravy. And don't worry, Kellen won't go to college in a diaper, that much you know for sure!!!! I'll keep you in my prayers. Love ya! Janet

Brenda said...

Amen Janet! I learned the best phrase in kindergarten last year. You don't have to be perfect, you just have to do your best! Everyone has a different best (mine is much less than most) but I know it can be frustrating to feel like you're not doing your best. If it makes you feel better, I haven't completely unpacked either. This house still has some of my MIL's stuff in it and we were only supposed to be here until August. I've never felt settled and life seems more chaotic this way. Wow, I don't think I was helpful at all! Sorry and keep up the good work that all your friends know you're doing, even if you don't! You're a great mom!

Annie said...

You know I'm feeling it right there along with you. Olivia has decided undies are the enemy.

Meghan said...

I'm sure I have nominated you several times - even if you don't like bologna sandwiches.. hah.. see, you're already a better mom because you feed your kids such yummy food. I know you do! Sorry about the potty training...

Meghan said...

P.S. Love the new background...

thomalee said...

Jyll I'm right there with you! Rachel told me that we are the only people that didn't have our house decorated...she felt much better after putting a few things up. And potty training ahhh! What a nightmare that can be. Hang in there. I'm a believer in that when they are ready, they will do it. Being a mom is a busy job and I don't think anyone (that I know of anyway) feels like a supermom-I think we're all pretty amazing in our own ways!