Monday, February 6, 2012

New Year! New You!

In an attempt to follow through on my New Year's Resolutions (aka NYR's) I'm making an attempt to start posting on my blog again. 

First, I usually don't make NYR's, but for some reason I did this year.

Two, I think my NYR's are pretty attainable, hence the reason I made them.

And three, well there's no three.  I've just been reading many other blogs lately and they have all motivated me to document our life again.

One of my NYR's is to provide more wholesome meals for my family - more meals made from whole foods and from scratch as much as possible.  Although anyone who knows me knows how much I love sweets so I've got to include those too.  I'm a bit of a novice foodie and love to try new recipes as well so why not make my meals more healthy too, right?

The other night I made a fantastic-ly good, and easy recipe I found on my Whole Foods app.  Even my kids liked it.  Can't say they loved it, like I did, but they did eat some of their veggies - double plus.  Of course in typical fashion I do not have a picture of this dish.  Maybe some day I'll post pictures of my dishes to this blog.

Asparagus and Portobello Farfalle



Serves 4

This pasta dish is light, yet satisfying. The liquid from the cooked portobello mushrooms adds a rich flavor to the pasta and goes well with the crisp spring asparagus.



Ingredients

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 1/2 cups sliced portobello mushrooms

1/3 cup chicken or vegetable broth

3/4 pound (dry) farfalle (bowtie) pasta

1 bunch asparagus

1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese

2 tablespoons chopped parsley

1/2 teaspoon salt

Ground black pepper

1/3 cup toasted pine nuts



Method

Heat olive oil in a saute pan and cook garlic and sliced mushrooms over medium-low heat until mushrooms are tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Set aside.



Cook pasta according to package directions.



Trim asparagus, cutting off the woody stems and steam just until tender. Drain and cut on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces. Toss hot drained pasta with the mushrooms, asparagus, goat cheese and parsley. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with toasted pine nuts.

Give it a try.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

No comments: