Monday, December 21, 2009

Candy Cane making

A friend of mine from church invited our family over tonight to make candy canes for FHE. How fun is that? I've never made candy canes and I thought the kids would have a great time learning how they're made.



A little background (because I think it's cool) this friend of mine (Julie) I've known for years. Since we were little girls. Her older sister and I were best buddies growing up and now that we've moved back to CO I lucked out in being in their ward. They are such great people and I really enjoy spending time with them. Also, Julie's dad was my dentist when I was a child so I thank him for my wonderful straight, cavity-free teeth. (However, I guess I should thank my family for such good genes, huh?) Her dad is also the temple president and although the kids don't really get that I think it's pretty cool we get to see them so often.


Anyway, candy cane making is a family tradition of theirs. They start off telling the kids what the candy cane stands for and what the colors symbolize then each child gets a chance to see the candy heating up on the stove and once they pull the candy off the stove and slightly cool it on a cookie sheet each child had an opportunity to twist and turn the candy.


After that green and red was added to the white and sections are cut, given to the kids to make into a cane. Lots of fun! We now have a ton of candy canes at home.

5 comments:

Terry said...

How cool is that? What a great experience.

Linda said...

Aw, you beat me to it! So fun...

Kristen said...

wow, I've never seen that before--cool!

Kir said...

FUN!! Pretty neat tradition!!

Mom of 7 said...

So fun! It was fun to see pictures of the Baer family! If (and when you see them) tell them I said hello. Fun to see what is going on with your family.

Love, Kirsten Peterson Gorski